Forgiveness -Kshma (April 2009)
Forgiveness is to let go off the feelings of anger and resentment towards others. It is a vital skill for living in harmony with others. Forgiveness is the quality that separates humans from the animals. To preach forgiveness is a simple task but to practice it in real life is extremely difficult. It requires courage of kings and emperors to forgive your enemy.
In order for us to keep moving forward in our life, we cannot afford to cling to the events of past. We cannot travel back in time to undo the events of the past. It is not wise to destroy our health and body by harboring the feelings of ill will from the past. Instead we should focus our energy in moving forward in life.
Every successful person in life practices forgiveness to its extreme, whether it was Mahatma Gandhi or John F. Kennedy.
Why Practice Forgiveness:
- Practicing forgiveness brings within us a feeling of calm and compassion.
- Studies show people who forgive are happier and healthier than those who hold resentment.
- Forgiveness is important because everyone makes mistakes
- If you do not forgive, you will have no friends. By forgiving you keep your friends and family.
- It solves all the problems and you don’t get into a fight. We should be like God in forgiving.
- Practicing forgiveness helps to maintain the sanity of a person. It gives you an edge over others.
Quotation On Forgiveness:
“Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future”.
Suggested Activities for Kids (Optional):
- Create a collage that expresses feelings of forgiveness.
- Create a cartoon.
- Write a short story.
- Draw the feeling of forgiveness.
- Brainstorm to explore ideas related to forgiveness.