Question Bank (December 2007)
- Who was the founder of Arya Samaj and what are some of his contributions?
Swami Dayanand Saraswati.
a) Equal rights for woman – such as their right to education and reading of Hindu scripture.
b) First great Indian who popularized the concept of Swaraj-that is, right to self determination, when India was ruled by British
c) Wrote Satyarth Prakash.
d) Fought against the caste system and child marriage in India.
- What is Sati Pratha?
A hindu funeral custom in which the widow sacrifices herself on her husband’s funeral Pyre.
- Who was considered “Father of Hindu Nationalism” and wrote the famous quote” Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it”?
Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
- What are some of the qualities of leaders?
Have a vision, Determination, Speak their mind, Commitment, Willingness to take Responsibility, Reliable, Trustworthy, Never give up, Confident, Inspire/Motivate People, Stand for their belief, Persuasive.
- What are some of the contributions of Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak?
a) Setting up of Minimum age for marriage
b) First congress leader to suggest that Hindi should be sole national language in India
c) Founded the Marathi daily Kesari through which he called upon Indians to fight for their rights.
d) Boycott of foreign good to inspire Patriotism among Indian people.
- Who was the founder of “Brahmo Samaj” and what is he remembered for?
Raja Ram Mohan Roy. He was a social reformer.
a) Due to his efforts “sati Pratha” was made illegal in India.
b) He demanded property inheritance rights for woman.
c) Supported induction of western culture into Indian education.
d) Published journals in English, Hindi, Bengali & Persian.
- What is the meaning of “Gayatri Mantra”?
God give us wisdom and guide it in right direction.
- Recite Mahamrityunjay mantra (3 times). Why do we recite this mantra?
This mantra is recited for winning over death. Mrityu is death and jaya is winning. In this mantra, we are praying to God that we live our full life in good health and leave this world only after fulfilling all our duties.
Om triyambakam yajamahe sugandhim
bandhanamrityormuksheeya maa amritat
- Who wrote the Aarti?
- Who is Guru Nanakji?
Guru Nanak ji is founder of Sikhism and is first of the ten gurus of Sikhs. He formalized three pillars of Sikhism (Naam, Daan & Ishaan). He preached against discrimination & elevated the position of woman.
- Think of any one practice or custom around you that you think is not right in modern times and you would like to change.
Let kids come up with their own answers.
- Who gave the famous speech “ Brothers and sisters of America”?
Swami Vivekanand ji.
- What is the meaning of “Idana mam” that we recite towards the end of most of the mantras?
It is not mine. It belongs to God and I am offering it to God.
- Who are freedom fighters? Talk about a freedom fighter from India and their contribution.
Let kids pick what they want to talk about. Some of the freedom fighters we covered in camp were Shivaji Maharaj, Rani Laksmi Bai, Bhagat Singh.
- Why do we sprinkle water around the hawan kund?
So that no one gets hurt by the fire, including insects on the floor
- What is the purpose of doing “Ang Sparsh”
We pray to God that our body parts should stay healthy as long as we live.
17. Who wrote the famous book “Satyarth Prakash”
Swami Dayanand Saraswati.
18. Who wrote “Hanuman Chalisa” and “Ram Charitmanas”?
Goswami Tulsidas ji.
Note: Kids think about 3,2,1.
Three things you learned from hawan group this year.
Two things you already knew.
One thing you want to learn.