QUESTION BANK (December 2006)
- What is yoga?
Yoga means union. In religion, Yoga means union of soul with God.
- Name eight limbs of yoga?
Yam, Niyam, Aasan, Pranayam, Pratyahar, Dharna, Dhyan and Smadhi.
- What are five Yam?
Satya (truthfulness), Ahinsa (non-violence), asteya (non-stealing), brahamcharya (celibacy), aparigrah (non-covetousness)
- What are five Niyam?
Sauch (Purity), Santosh (Contentment), Tapa (Austerity), Swadhyaya (Study of Vedic literature), Ishwar Pranidhan (Surrender to God)
- What are the advantages of doing yoga?
It keeps body healthy. It helps mind develop concentration. Ultimately, it leads to God’s realization.
- What is Pratyahar?
Pratyahar means not getting distracted.
- Give a real life example of Pratyahara.
Let kids pick example from real-life.
- What do we do when we are practicing Dhyaan?
When mind is fully engaged on a particular thought or idea without interruption, it is said to be in Dhyaan
- Show us how you do Pranayam?
Let kids practice and show one of breathing exercise Vimal ji have taught.
- Why do we do aachman at the beginning of the Hawan?
In Aachman mantra, we pray to God to protect us from above and below (outside and inside). We also pray to God to bless us with truth, glory, fortune and prosperity.
- What is the purpose of doing “ang sparsh”?
We pray to God that all our body parts should stay healthy as long as we live.
- Why do we sprinkle water around the hawan kund?
So that no one gets hurt by the fire; including insects crawling on the floor
- What is the meaning of “Idana mam” that we recite towards the end of most of mantra?
It is not mine. It belongs to God and I am offering it to God/Fire.
- What do we say at the end of every Ahuti (offering) to Hawan?
- Who wrote the Aarti?
- What is the meaning of Tanmay Mana shiv sankalpam astu?
“May my mind be full of good thoughts”.
- What is the meaning of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra?
Mantra to win over death.
- Recite Maha Mrityunjaya mantra.
- Samadhi is the ________________state of meditation in yoga
- Dharana means teaching mind to _____at one point.
- With Aasan you _______________your body; with Pranayama, you regulate your _____________and quiet your mind; with Pratyahar, you avoid ________________ and with Dharana, you get higher degree of ________________.
Relax, breath, distraction, concentration.
- What are three “H” in namaste gesture
Hands (folded), Head (bow), and Heart.
- What are main offerings to Hawan/Fire
Smeedha (wooden sticks), Ghee, and Prasaad.
- What do you like best about Hawan Group
Let kids prepare their own answers.